Re: Re: Jumpy Star Wars Fixed / Degaussing Help Anybody?

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 02:55:38 EST

James R. Twine wrote:

> Excuse me for getting in here a little late, but since no one else
>mentioned it...
>
> The original poster said that the color effects started when the game
>was moved. Could it be the Earth's poles screwing up the color (I know
>this can happen to Raster monitors, I guess Vectors, too)?
>
> I would suggest trying to rotate the game in place and see if it
>changes or goes away. Especially if you get around to using a "real"
>degaussing coil and it does not seem to fix it completely.

Funny thing about magnetic fields and CRTs, a good degaussing seems to
fix a lot!

At my Real Job we have a computer monitor sitting next to a vibration
table. When you bring the field on that table up (it is one hell of a
magnetic field!) the monitor display goes nuts. Color is all wrong and
even the picture itself moves a bit. But hit the degauss button on the
monitor and everything returns to normal, even though the field is still
there. Picture stays normal until the table field is shut down.

You wouldn't think degaussing would accomplish much with that much
outside magnetism applied, but it does. Apparently the key is to have
everything in the tube magnetized the same. Don't really understand it
myself, but seeing is believing.

But back to the subject at hand, yes, turning the game back to the
original position and applying power would be something to try. If
everything returned to normal that would kill the "yoke moved when the
game moved" argument and would show that the problem was indeed a
degaussing problem.