Newbie vector monitor troubleshooting

From: Heath Roberts <htr_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 08:38:03 EST

I haven't posted here before but have been lurking for a while. I'm
interested in vector games and own a few. I did spend some time on Google and
reading several FAQs before posting...

I have a Battlezone that was having problems, and recently got the board
set fixed. Now I need to do some work on the monitor. (although I originally
thought it was physical misalignment of the monitor in the cabinet, the
monitor problem started before the board problem).

The image on the monitor is too small in both X and Y axes, and since it's
sort of evenly small, meaning that neither axis is obviously more shrunk
than the other, I think it's a problem with the monitor and not the game
board. The supply voltages are good (60VAC and 6VAC), and I'm getting 16.5V
p-p on the x-axis, and 14.8V p-p on the y-axis, measured with the monitor
disconnected. I haven't measured the image size on the monitor, but I'd
estimate it's 20% smaller than it should be. And for further background, the
image filled the screen when I first got the game.

Is this a common problem, maybe with a common solution? Low supply
voltages in the deflection amp? What's the best way to troubleshoot and fix?
Shotgun approach with one of the 'get-well' kits from zanen?

I have some electronics experience, a multimeter and scope, and am okay at
solder/desoldering, but mostly have put audio stuff
together, not a lot of troubleshooting, and I have no real experience with
monitors except swapping tubes & boards when I worked in a mac shop. I
don't have an HV probe but would consider buying one.

If there's someone who works on these professionally, I'd be perfectly
happy to send it off for repair or a board swap, and I wouldn't mind having a
new or rebuilt spare whole monitor, so if anyone knows of a reputable
source, that would be welcome as well. And in case there's someone local, I'm in
Durham, NC.

Thanks,
Heath

--