Battlezone RAM trouble

From: Steve C <stevec_at_unix.beige.org>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 09:53:31 EST

Hello all.

First, I would like to thank Roger Boots for helping me with a problem on
my Asteroids Deluxe...

It had a weird intensity problem that I posted to Vectorlist, and he
nonchalantly suggested a bad
transistor in the blanking circuit.. I replaced those, it works perfect.
Thanks Roger!

I have a Battlezone board that "plays blind" and flashes vectors every now
and then. On test, it indicates bad RAM at A1. I replaced that 2114, but
the problem is still there.

The AUX board is known good, and everything else in the game (including
monitor) is good. The interboard header pins have been reflowed.

I've been looking at the schamatics, and it looks like F2 might be the
next point of attack, but I was hoping for some guidance on this matter
before I start desoldering.

When ram tests still show a bad ram after its been replaced, what's
*usually* the cause? Any common problems?

Thanks!

Steve