Re: dedicated Major Havoc questions

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 00:48:22 EST

In a message dated 3/30/2003 2:26:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jstanley1@cfl.rr.com writes:

> After I turned everything on and got a picture, and since I don't
> have a HV probe, instead I measured the anode side of CR3 and set a
> DC voltage of 180 using the R7 pot. (If you trace the wintron green
> wire you will see the copper trace leads up to CR3. Put your red
> probe on the far side of CR3 and black to ground). 180V at this
> point corresponds to 19.5K volts at the monitor cap. If memory
> serves, decreasing R7 increases the B+ voltage at CR3

Jon is right, you can adjust the HV on the anode side of CR3 to get a rough
idea of where the HV "should" be. However, I saw one board that measured 180v
@ anode of CR3 on route (didn't have my HV probe, Star Wars machine was at
movie theatre when Phantom Menace was released). When I used a probe later I
found it to be about 20.1 kv, and the overvoltage would occasionally
trip.....
I'd suggest borrowing a probe if you can - it would be very bad to kill a
WinTron by "extrapolation"......

TTYL,
MK