RE: Asteroids - very bright "laser shots"

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:08:40 EST

>>>The bullets are twice as bright as anything else normally
        James G Watt

*cough**cough* Yeah, I uh.. I knew that. *cough*

My contrast had gotten bumped all the way up, but brightness was normal.
The picture looked pretty good, but I fiddled with it a bit and made it look
very nice. The bullets are still the brightest objects on the screen by
far, and the player ship and UFO's are about twice as bright as the
asteroids and high scores. I will take this as normal. I only noticed it
after playing VectorDream and MAME which have everything the same brightness
level.

The monitor in the cab (G05-801) is in beautiful shape, with no plexi in
front of it and just the barest hint of burn in.

>>>Twiddling with the contrast and brightness controls will allow you to
adjust the brightness of the shots relative to the other vectors.
        steve@coule.freeserve.co.uk

This didn't seem to be the case. Both the contrast and brightness affected
all vectors equally. The shots got dimmer and so did everything else.

Semi-related question: Is there any advantage to keeping the brightness
level low? I set it where I feel it looks the best. I seem to remember a
posting recommending keeping the bright as low as possible to prolong
monitor life. Should I turn the bright down and play with the lights out?
Or was that posted last April 1st?
Thanks to all who replied. I wouldn't be collecting if it weren't for
resources like this.

Sean McLachlan
MIS Manager
LithoFlexo grafics inc.