Interesting Space Duel stroy

From: Joe Bachmann <joe.bachmann_at_newmail.net>
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 20:27:42 EDT

Since nothing else is going on on the list. Here's an interesting story of what
happened to one Space Duel..
He sent me this after I had asked him about getting his old SD board.

----
    Anyways you asked about how much i wanted for my broken sd pcb. well, i
guess if i still had it , i would have gave it to you. it was in such bad shape
, i don't think anybody would want it . the actual board was broke in two
places. like someone actually broke it over their knee! funny story on my space
duel upright..... i got it out of an abandon building in downtown detroit. my
neighbor knew this guy who
just bought the building or something, and needed to clear everything out of
it. suposedly, this game was the biggest , heaviest piece of "useless garbage"
no body wanted to move. my neighbor  remebers that i collect that "useless
garbage" and gave my number to this guy. well he calls me, and i play the "
what i'm i going to do with it "card. well long story short... he pays me $75
dollars to get it down 7 stories of stairs(elevators don't work),get it out of
the building, and get rid of it. well, it now resides in my basement along all
my other games. it's the nicest, cleanest game i ever seen. obviously it
stopped working early in it's day, and was never fixed, and thus not put in
circulation.i think the coin counters read less than 950 plays or something.
weird! no water ,moister damage on the cab whatsoever . the silk screen is
crisp and vivrant. the game probably sat in that dry,dark location for 20 plus
years! the game was being used as a storage unit by
some homeless person though. he had the back door off and had various personal
belongings hanging and such. he also used the coinbox door to keep his food and
drink in. he use to lock it up in there. pretty uncanny shit, huh! o.k. i guess
i felt bad taking his "locker" so to speak but i knew the homeless guy would've
been locked out of the building by this new owner   from here on out.
     Anyways i found the original pcb cracked up and set along the side of the
monitor. did the homeless guy need the extra space? the original screw that
held the pcb in place was still in place with part of the board
attached to it. i wish the guy would have searched that buliding for a philips
driver!
     Well i got it home and cleaned it up real nice, and thought it be a
challenge to put the board back together(over a long time) well in the  end ,
after epoxying the board back together the best i could, and running wire to
fix all the traces(wow, speagetti), and finding some of the chips to replace
the damaged ones,........it halfway worked! you could coin it up, and play.
some sound effects didn't work , and all the graphics were scrambled saw-tooth
images(bad DAC's?). anyways it sat for a long time and after i traded my friend
the 1 working sound chip for a susan b anthony coin mech....,i started stealing
and scavaging parts off the board more often. there must be close to 75+
electric guitars out there with an original "space duel" resistor in it's
circuit! i think i used every resistor off that board for something or
another.(i build electric guitars and basses).
        Well i bought my first home last year, and for extra entertainment
money, i picked up a second part-time job. i deliver video games, jukeboxes ,
pinballs , slots and other such game room stuff. i borrowed a space duel pcb
from some guy i met there and plugged it in to my cab. it Worked! i knew it
wasn't my monitor,....i went through it anyway. since then i've been looking
for a board, but been side tracked with all my other new prodjects that, when
one was available i didn't know about it. WELL I GOT ONE NOW!
         So i don't have that original pcb anymore , i threw the old hull of it
away awhile back after i savaged the last of it's useful parts. it looked so
shitty, that even if it did work, i wouldn't want that eye-sore in my
nice looking game cab.
-----
JB