RE: Smaller CRT's

From: Jill Stancliff <jstancliff_at_mchsi.com>
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 17:27:52 EDT

I have not been keeping up with this thread, but I thought I would throw my
2 cents in :)

Not trying to get into a pissing match with Roger (hellava nice guy I have
met him) , but most of the new tubes I have seen (say late 80's and 90's)
use vary close to the same specs as long as they are the same size. Most of
the difference I have seen is with the pinout of the tube, neck size and
deflection angle. Get some specs on the tube you want to try and use some
common sense and I am sure that you can interchange alot of them. I have
taken tubes out of newer TV's, rewound the yokes and made adapters for the
neck boards and they have worked in testing for xy monitors. Most of the
variables below can be delt with in testing and experimenting. I like it
when people tell me things won't work. It usually means no one has tried it
or worked hard enough to make it work.

Fred
aka Juice28

At 08:51 pm 13 05 2003, you wrote:
>I think you all might be missing a point here, all using the same socket
>adapter on a CRT tester means is that you CAN TEST THEM USING THE SAME
ADAPTER.

>It does NOT mean the focus voltage range is the same.
>It does NOT mean the high voltage requirements are the same.
>It does NOT mean the deflection angle is the same.
>It does NOT mean the mounting is the same.
>It does NOT mean the X-ray protection is the same.
>It does NOT mean the same yoke and convergence assemblies can be used.
>It does NOT mean the dot pitch will be as good.
>
>Other than that, they're identical.

That was my first though which was why I questioned the theory.

So, how do you determine which tubes are compatible and which are not. Is
there an online resource that lists the properties for different types?

What tubes have list members used successfully in various monitors in the
past?

Dave Langley
www.robotron-2084.co.uk