Sega Universal Sound Boards

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 21:59:18 EDT

Hi all,

I've been struggling with debugging 16 Universal sound boards. A good
number of them mostly work except for the explosions, which create a "bong"
noise instead of the appropriate explosion in Star Trek. In Tac/Scan, this
problem effects the thrust noise, which creates a "rrrrr" sound. Apparently
the problem is related to a white noise generation on the board, but the
chip that produces the white noise appears to be fine, so it must be getting
screwed up somewhere else on the board. I'd appreciate any debug tips for
this problem that anyone can offer.

Does anyone else here have any experience working on these boards? I'd be
interested in trading repair tips or logs.

I'd also be interested in working a deal where I could get a few working
ones back in exchange for the rest (or maybe for some other boards).

Last but not least, can someone recommend a chip search engine? Google
seems to not be very helpful when searching for chips. In specific, I'm
looking for MP7524 (schematics say AD7524, so that'd probably work as well,
or any cheap cross that would work).

Thanks.

--
Mark Jenison