Re: Tech: Battlezone

From: <A218_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 07:16:30 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2003 4:06:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rlboots@cedar-rapids.net writes:

> Take a stick of anything that insulates (NOT a pencil, the graphite core
> will conduct), tape a neon bulb to one end, and use this "wand" to
> detect if the flyback is running. A neon bulb near a running flyback
> will glow.

Only problem with that is that if the HV diode is leaky or shorted you will
still see a glow, but not have proper DC HV at the anode. We old timers :)
generally can detect proper HV by holding the back of a hand against the HV
lead and turning on the monitor - if the HV is up properly you can feel the
static charge tugging at the hairs on the back of your hand. Of course, for
the more technically inclined, or less ballsy, there is always the HV probe
to use for that.

One thing to be alert to on these monitors - pin 10 of the large connector's
header pins (I dont have a schematic handy so forgive the lack of the ID #)
has a habit of being not quite all the way through the PCB and even tho the
solder joint is reflowed and looks good, the pin is actually not making
contact with the solder at the pad.
Art