RE: Big phat vector monitors ( ie: >= 25" )

From: Joe <jb_at_joesarcade.com>
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 03:49:00 EDT

First off, you may want to read this article:
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/star_wars_tube.txt

These tubes can be found in old TV's, especially RCA. Go for the console
type if you can find one. You may also want to try
http://www.picturetubes.net and http://www.hawkeyepicturetube.com

I have found a 25" Star Wars tube in a TV lying on the side of the road
;) I have a 26" tube here I will be playing with to make it XY.

Remember, the 25" Star Wars tube uses a WG 6100 yoke. The yoke which was
made for the SW tube does have slightly longer wires. I believe it is a
Rev. D yoke. No matter, any 6100 yoke is suitable.

>I'm in the process of drawing up plans for my ZVG Eliminator style
table. I
>sure would like to use a 25" monitor, but short of cannibalizing
someone's
>Star Wars cockpit, I'm not sure it's possible.

Yes it is possible :)

>I don't know jack about tubes, windings, and necks. I can follow
>instructions
>for a recap and hook up wires. So I need someone to tell me in the
most >basic
>terms whether I'm chasing a windmill here or not. I was always under
the
>impression that the Ampliphone electronics could go on a standard
raster >tube
>due to the same deflection angle. I even planned to throw in the same
RCA
>tube from a Wells Gardner to fix my Quantum's dead tube. But if I've
got >to
>deal with necks, glue, dremels, and a whole lotta crap, I'd rather just
>wait
>for the eventual "Ampliphone For Sale".

The 25" tube used in a Star Wars is a 100 degree tube.

I'd imagine if you could find another tube that was not the same tube
number you could use it. All you would need to do is to check the pin
outs, if they are not the same, make them the same. If the HV pin on the
neck socket is different, you'd need a different neck socket. The
insulation between pins is different on different neck sockets! Then
make sure the tube uses the same grid voltages. If not, you may need to
modify your XY pcb to provide proper voltages or do a raster hack.
(Note: lower voltage = higher brightness, higher voltage = lower
brightness.) Now check the color guns and make sure they use the same
pins. And then attempt to use an existing XY yoke. (6100 or amp.) And of
course the curvature of the face of the tube needs to be taken into
account. The picture may be distorted close to the edge of the tube. Of
course using proper magnets you may be able to compensate. Now if you
cant get a yoke to deflect properly then you can wind one by hand or
have one custom made........ You get the idea. Yes it is possible, but
how much work do you want to put into it?

>With flat panel displays taking over television and computer monitors
it >sure
>would be nice if there was a way to convert those discarded high-res
tubes
>into crystal clear vectors. :-)

Don't even get me started on flat panels..... :) But, Flat panels will
NEVER be able to be a vector monitor as we know it.