Re: Major Havoc with 25" monitor

From: Mark E Davidson <mark_at_basementarcade.com>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 19:57:12 EDT

That was Jon Raiford... Here is his posting form 2/2000 but Im afraid
the link is dead

For those of you who have been following my project, I have finally finished the technical portion. My Major Havoc now lives in full color (converged pretty good too) in a 25" 720 cabinet complete with custom control panel. There is an awful log of bowing on the display, so it is probably worth my while to install one of Clay's display correctors (Clay: any chance you want to donate one to a good cause?)

I do have one question. During the convergence, even though it all went smoothly, it is still a little off at the top and bottom of the screen. The red and blue are both dead on with each other, but the green gradually pulls away the further away from the center you get. The convergence magnets don't seem to fix it, and the yoke appears to be at its optimal location, yet I still seem to have this problem.

Is this why magnetic shunts are sometimes used? Could it be the location of the magnetic convergence assembly itself? Or is this just the effect of a yoke not designed for a particular tube? As it is, it does look pretty good already. I guess I'd just like to make it perfect. I'll post a picture later tonight showing the effect that I'm seeing.

Jon

ftp://arcade.ne.mediaone.net/incoming/720-to-MH/720toMH_Working.jpg