Re: Re: Need a POKEY Desolder advice

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 22:51:47 EDT

I've gotta put my vote in for the heat gun too!
It works really fast, without the flame risk of the propane torch...
though with some care and practice obviously that does work great too.
Just my opinion...

I use a heat gun kind of like this one, hope this link works, (the Wagner one, $29.95)
http://tinyurl.com/ozxq

and for IC's that I want to save clean, I stand the board up on it's side and hold
it up with something like blocks or my feet,
and use pliers/ic remover tweezers on the ic with my left hand, and on the right
side use the heat gun (I'm right handed)
A good waving action over the whole area to get the board up to temp, and then
a little local heat on each ic and they pull out very nicely
I don't like the idea of giving the IC's a sharp shock while they're hot or have
a large temperature differential between the legs and body, but
that's just me, it may be ok I just don't know either way...

Cheers,

Marc