Quad pokey frustration, Major Havoc sound problems

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 09:14:05 EDT

I fixed one problem on my Major Havoc board (Gravitar conversion)
only to plug it back in and presto - no sound. Every MH board
I've seen has a Quad Pokey Eliminator. No matter how I test the
pokeys, the MH self test says there's something wrong with that
chip location. I get pokeys that pass all self tests in another
Atari vector, pop them on the Eliminator, and it won't pass. The
game will work (well it used to till tonight), but I'd like to
see it totally clean in self test. I've never gotten a good self
test using the eliminator. Has anyone else? How about a Quad
Pokey chip? Is there such an animal? I know I've heard it
talked about, but as I said, I've never seen one. Any other
Atari boards use a quad pokey? Any one got one (or more) to sell
or can point to a place that does sell them?

Lastly, even with 4 known good pokeys on the Eliminator (still
bad self test though), I get no sound. Everything else appears
to be 100% working okay. Speaker is good. Speaker wiring checks
out. Any ideas what to look for next? Any help/advice
appreciated. Thanks,

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net