Re: Looking for . . .

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 19:17:19 EDT

Hi Marlin,

> Starhawk
>
> I have raised this one from death. Controls all work. Only problem
> left: flourescent light fixture causes the breakers to blow after
> awhile. Any thoughts?

I've had this happen before and it has been faulty ballast transformers
in the flouro circuits.

There's probably a bad winding in it that shorts or gets worse when it
gets hot, replacing the ballast transformer should fix it.

It's the small transformer attached to the tube housing/wiring that connects to
the end caps, you may find similar ones in new housings with the same
tube wattage and length rating from Home Depot or something you can use.

Someone else probably knows better than me where to get one in the USA!

> Space Wars:
>
> The sound board got smoked. I think every chip/cap/transistor is blown
> in some way on that board. Any help on this one?

I guess you'll have to replace everything on the sound board, and
check the other parts like diodes and resistors too with a meter at least,
and before reconnecting it, find out for sure what sort of power supply
disaster killed everything, and make sure it's all fixed up.

Usually this kind of damage is caused by a chronic overvoltage or reverse
voltage on the power supply that feeds the board. Be sure you're very satisfied
with the test and repair first, and check and protect the supply that
goes to the game board too.
Putting a protection zener or diode on the board may help protect it later if
it happens again (I don't have the schematics to hand to give details for that, sorry!)

Best regards,

Marc