Re: Atari serial #'s was: Quantum spotted Portland OR auction

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 12:52:18 EST

I suspect Atari just had a batch of serial number decals printed up - 0000 to
8000 or something random. Possibly manufacturing would grab an allotment for a
particular build session. If you've ever applied serial number tags to
relatively short production items, you will know there is nothing special about
low or high serial numbers. Just the luck of the draw. :)

I *do* know that Atari made specific mention of certain games (in this instance
Asteroids to bring us back on track) with serial numbers falling outside a
particular range. As in the G05-801 / G05-802 service bulletin:

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/atari_docs/atari_B-0068.jpg

Most curious Quantum you have Cris. I wish I had more Quantum CPOs!

tm