Re: An amplifone problem I haven't seen before.....

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 11:04:59 EST

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Joe Bachmann wrote:

> Here's one I haven't seen before... HV units works great except that after a few
> seconds the 5w 50 ohm resistor on the +24v side gets red hot. I'm thinking it's
> not safe to run like this as it is smoking by now.

I haven't seen this, and I don't have my Ampliphone FAQ here, but if I
recall, those resistors are designed to protect the regs, right ? So, it
sounds like there is too much current being drawn through the resistors.

First thing I would do is install fuses on the + and - inputs to the board,
as is now recomended in the FAQ. You can do this fairly non-invasively,
simply desolder the wires from the board itself, and install in-line fuse
holders -- I think CrapShack still sells those if you don't have any around.

This also gives you a convinient place to hook up your meter and actually
measure the current draw.

Not that this tells you WHY it is happening, but it will protect the other
parts while you troubleshoot.