Re: This boardset is strong with the Dark Side of the Force... :/

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 13:44:00 EST

Also, for those that have Eprom programmers but not a Prom burner - you can
make an adapter to read PROMs on an Eprom programmer so you can compare the
contents with an archive. All you need to do is connect the corresponding
address and data lines to their matches for a basic Eprom (2716 for
example). Then - if your burner allows) set the read size to the PROMs
size, read it and compare the file. The only trick is for 4 bit PROMs - the
high Data bits (4 - 7) need to be tied high. I would set the chip select
line to pin 20 of a 2716 and if there are a couple then tie just one to pin
20 and the rest to either ground or Vcc (if they require a HIGH to enable).

A wirewrap 16 or 18 pin socket often does the job nicely - just bend the
legs around to fit in a 24 pin socket that you can read as a 2716/2732/27XXX...

I can envision a simple PCB with a variety of sockets on it that would
allow one to test the most common PROMs in an Eprom programmer - but I'm
not going to build it...happy to help with the design if anyone else is
interested, I have the data sheets on all the common PROMs (and uncommon
ones too - Gottlieb's System 1 pinball for example but that is OT)

John :-#)#