repainting Tempest cocktail glass

From: Tony Jones <tony_at_tonyjones.com>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 23:23:45 EST

This is probably applicable to all Atari cocktail cabinets, vector and raster
but I hate to Xpost.

I have a Tempest cocktail, artwork on the glass is in really good contion
except for the black border which is bubbling and peeling badly.

Long ago I spoke to someone on RGVAC who had paid an art shop $100 to repaint
the black border around the outside of the glass, but a) I've been unable to
find a place willing by calling b) I fancy trying to do it myself, but I'm
not a natural artist.

I'm curious if anyone has done this themselves and what kinds of stencils
(or other tools) they used to make the process simpler. The black border
mostly stands apart from the other art, except for one part where it butts
into the player 1/2 logos (so I'd have to carefully repaint in there areas).

Mostly curious on how to get the arcs correct, masking techniques, whether
you painted directly onto the glass, or used a base coat of something like
Shellac.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate hearing them.

thanks

tony