RE: repainting Tempest cocktail glass

From: Adam Pletcher <adamp_at_Volition-inc.com>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 10:02:40 EST

I've hand-painted coctail glass before, it's not hard. Get a roll of
adhesive vinyl like this stuff:
www.adamsarcade.com/misc/robo09.jpg

I get mine from Michaels, but any arts/crafts store should carry something
similar.

If it's just a matter of masking some windows on the underside of the glass,
you can just take some measurements from the original and do fine. Use
coins to estimate small curves, etc, or get a compass.

Cover the underside with vinyl, get a straightedge and cut with an exacto
knife, leaving vinyl where you don't want paint.

If you want to get really accurate, lay it out with vectors in software
(like Illustrator), print off sheets to tape on the vinyl, and cut through
both with an exacto knife. Shouldn't be necessary for this, though.

For paint, I like Krylon black spray cans. Flat black or semi-flat both
work well for cocktail glass. Just make sure the glass is clean, and spray
it on in 3-4 thin coats, letting each dry. Peel up the vinyl when you're
done and there you go.

Here's a couple cocktail glasses I repainted this way:
www.adamsarcade.com/misc/defender2.jpg
www.adamsarcade.com/misc/robotronct1.jpg

- Adam