Re: Need Help with Asteroids Deluxe

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 13:41:12 EST

In a message dated 1/31/04 5:44:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, jess@askey.org
writes:

> It looks like the errors are not dependent on screen position as the 'N'
> is good in both the BONUS and INC. If is was a DAC or output problem it
> shoudl effect the self test as well. It is hard to tell from the pics
> but are the errors consistent no matter where a same image is drawn on
> the screen? Also, take for example the I in INC. It is being drawn as a
> backwards C is looks like. Is this consistent anywhere there is supposed
> to be an I? If so, I would look at the vector ROMs and maybe the data
> buffers from them into the counters etc. Do you by chance have a bad
> VROM error in the self test? If the game has been sitting that long,
> maybe try cleaning all socketed IC legs in the vector section as well.
> You may just have a bad connection on a pin somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the errors are consistent and never change in the
text lines for the BONUS and the C R 1980 ATARI INC. They even stay the same
when an asteroid passes under them and the asteroid looks fine. Also all the
small asteroids look the same like their missing 2/3rds of the outline but the
side that's left rotates like the asteroid should. I dough theirs anything
wrong with the DAC or output as the test pattern is fine. I wish I knew what
section generates the text that's messing up, guess it could be a ROM issue. Bet
its something simple, just gotta find it.
Thanks,
Sam
In Virginia