TECH: Tempest - AC ripple

From: Roger Smith <whooshdoo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 10:36:04 EST

1) When measuring for AC ripple with a DMM (I don't have a scope), is
it necessary to do so across big blue or can it also be detected
correctly elsewhere at the PS, ARII, or across the wiring leading to
the board edge connectors?

2) When I measure for AC ripple with my DMM across big blue (with a load on
the PS), it reads zero with the pos. test lead touching neg. and the neg.
test lead touching pos., but I get a readout (+28.7) when I switch them so
that the pos. test lead is touching pos. and the neg. test lead is touching
neg. Shouldn't AC read the same either direction, even across a DC line? I
searched the RGVAC archives where others had addressed this
same topic, but all I could find was the possibility of a broken DMM
or bad leads, but the unit is new and works fine. My big blue is a new one
from Bob Roberts as well, so I wouldn't think it would be bad. Also, it IS
better
to test for AC ripple with a load isn't it?

I want to CONFIRM for sure that the power is ok and "clean", before I delve
any further into the main problem at hand and commence troubleshooting the
main board.

Thanks!,
Rog