RE: WG6100 help, still struggling

From: Robb Gonyer <rgonyer_at_mchsi.com>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 18:04:31 EST

> So, here are my suggestions:
>
> If you have another color XY game (such as Star Wars)
>
> 1. Plug the monitor into that game and see if the same issue occurs.

Already plugged it into my Quantum - exact same problem.

> If you don't have another XY game
>
> 1. Check and note both the revisions of your Tempest board and
monitor.
> Does the monitor use an input protection board? Is it a P314 or some
other
> deflection board?

The deflection board on the monitor giving me trouble is a P327. That
is also the same revision board that is in my good monitor.

> 2. Upgrade your Tempest game board to Rev. 3 if it's not already. Many
> 6100's will not work properly without rev. 3 roms.

The board has the multikit in it, so it has revision 3.

> 3. Start adjusting the size on your Tempest. Start as small as
possible
> and work your way out. Does this still occur when the screen is small?

Yes. As per my previous message, this still occurs. I have made the
screen as small as possible using the adjustments on the Tempest board.
If I move the picture all the way up so that it is on the top half of
the tube, it pretty much looks okay. If I move the picture down, the
lower right quadrant is always screwed up. It's always that corner of
the screen.

> I have seen the later 6100's collapse the screen like this in
conjunction
> with screen size and the roms not being the rev. 3 roms. This seems to
be
> part of the input protection circuitry.

Okay.

> Again, I would be 99.99% certain this is a board issue and NOT the
> monitor.

Looks like I'm part of the .01% :) Is it possible it could be a problem
with the input protection on the deflection board itself?

> And, yes, swapping in an older revision of the 6100 deflection board
would
> fix the problem - even if both were working 100% correctly!

Yup, I realize that the input protection circuitry can cause a problem,
however both boards that I am testing are the same revision. One has
the problem, one does not...