RE: WG6100 help, still struggling

From: Joe <joe_at_joesarcade.com>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 16:55:43 EST

Tempest is not a perfect game to be testing WG 6100 monitors on. There are several revisions of this monitor and several revisions of Tempest.

So, here are my suggestions:

If you have another color XY game (such as Star Wars)

1. Plug the monitor into that game and see if the same issue occurs.

If you don’t have another XY game

1. Check and note both the revisions of your Tempest board and monitor. Does the monitor use an input protection board? Is it a P314 or some other deflection board?

2. Upgrade your Tempest game board to Rev. 3 if it's not already. Many 6100's will not work properly without rev. 3 roms.

3. Start adjusting the size on your Tempest. Start as small as possible and work your way out. Does this still occur when the screen is small?

I have seen the later 6100's collapse the screen like this in conjunction with screen size and the roms not being the rev. 3 roms. This seems to be part of the input protection circuitry.

Again, I would be 99.99% certain this is a board issue and NOT the monitor.

And, yes, swapping in an older revision of the 6100 deflection board would fix the problem - even if both were working 100% correctly!

JB