Amplifone problems

From: Robert Gonyer <rgonyer_at_mchsi.com>
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 22:10:17 EDT

Hi again everyone, now that I'm done fussing with 6100's, it appears I have
to do the same with a 19" Amp.

I recently acquired a non-working Quantum in good shape, but not working.
The game played blind, and it had a red HVT in it, so I figured that was
likely problem #1. So I pulled the HV board out of my Star Wars UR and put
it in the Quantum, and all was well. I ordered a Wintron to fix the Quantum
HV board, and haven't gotten around to having it installed yet.

Anyway, I pulled the HV board out of the Q a few days ago to do some work on
my Star Wars. It was working fine. Put the board back in the Q yesterday,
fired it up, and nothing. After a minute or so, I could see a very dim and
very out of focus picture. So I reached around and turned up the brightness
a bit, and it did get brighter, but it is still way out of focus, still dim,
and I could see retrace lines. Also, the screen size wasn't right (the X
axis was way too big), aside from the fact that I had not done any
adjustments since the last time this board was in the Q.

About this time I could sense the presence of that great burnt "something"
smell, so I shut it down. Felt for warmth and the large resistor near the
red can was VERY hot. It appears that both of those resistors were very hot
at one time or another, but only that one was hot at this point.

I haven't worked much on amplifones (yet), so I'm at a loss as to what to
try next. I've done some googling and also searched the vector list
archive, and didn't come up with much. Is this something common anyone has
seen?

Thanks for any help.
Robb Gonyer