Re: TECH: Tempest +5v line

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 00:18:56 EDT

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:52:35 -0500, you wrote:

>So, even if a chip's tolerance is listed as +5.25V on it's data sheet, it
>can still "survive" at the higher voltage?

        I think perhaps some manufacturers' chips must be more robust than
others, because I _have_ seen TTL's get zapped by supply voltages exceeding
5.25Vdc before, even when the supply didn't drift as far as 6Vdc...
Nonetheless, it can't hurt to adjust the voltage down to read a proper 5V
at the edge connector and see if things start working -- you might get
lucky. :) And if the board still doesn't work, you're no worse off than
you were before...
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)