Re: PCB identifcation

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 16:22:09 EDT

>>How about a prototype Cosmic Chasm sound board for this one:
>>http://www.ionpool.net/DCP01174.jpg
>

> That would fit with what is there, the key part would be that 40 pin chip in the
> upper right corner (K2), and whether it's a UART or a sound chip. The small 14
> pin chips really fit the 1488s / 1489s needed to convert the UART voltage
> levels. I don't remember off hand, but didn't Cosmic Chasm use one of those GI
> (or similar) sound chips?
>
> Let us know what the part numbers on those two regulators on the regulation
> board are (and did their outputs head right over to L2 or L3 socket?), that
> could be helpful in figuring out what K2 was. I don't think the small heatsinks
> on those would allow either one to drive the 5v sections of the wirewrap board,
> so I'm thinking it got it's 5v power elsewhere, and the regulators were there
> for +12/-12 UART voltages. On the other hand maybe they split the power and
> both are 5v regulators...still seems small, TTL sucked a lot of power in those
> days.

Ok. And I'll take some underside pictures of the boards. BTW, you can
praise Mark Shostak for the CC sound board idea if it turns out to be
true :)

>>The other single PCB has two OpAmps (TL071s I believe) in it.
>>
>>http://www.ionpool.net/DCP01175.jpg
>

> It's missing an audio amplifier section (though that could have been an off
> board amplifier of any sort, an old audio receiver/amp, etc). Being a Space Wars
> soundcard doesn't explain the large socket (that looks DAC80 sized) in the upper
> right corner.

Absolutely correct. However, from one other Cinematronics prototype
sound board that I've seen (and as a disclaimer I'll say right off the
bat this is not mine nor is it for sale!)

War of the Worlds color prototype game soundboard:
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/cine/wotw_back.jpg

You will note the DIP sockets being used as resistor and capacitor
holders. But as Zonn notes, whatever this board is, it is missing a
bunch of otherwise needed components to be a complete soundboard.

> It's also missing the audio gain control ICs (CA3080s I think???), that are
> needed to generate the attack and decay explosion envelopes.
>
> That and did Cinematronics need to prototype a Space Wars sound card? I was
> under the impression Larry Rosenthal had already had that designed before he
> went to Cinematronics with his designs. (Of course that could be a Larry R.
> protoboard. ;-)

Now you have ruined any chance I could have of offloading this - er, I
mean sell it for $$$ ;)

This is fun. Perhaps I will post some more prototype PCBs pictures in
the coming weeks...

tm