Re: PCB identifcation

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 15:46:05 EDT

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:54:03 -0500, Tom McClintock <tomm@mgcap.com> wrote:

>Zonn wrote:
>
>> And am I to assume you're not getting schematics with these?
>
>Sadly, no.
>

>> And yeah, I have a Demon board and know that isn't one, however it could have
>> been used to develop the software for the much simpler Demon soundboard. The
>> possible UART would have given them debugging capabilities the finished
>> soundboard doesn't have. But that really was a wild guess, there's way too much
>> ROM space for a sound card. Whatever this is, if it was arcade related, I'd
>> guess that it ran the game code.
>
>The Demon soundboard (Rock-Ola) and the Cinematronics sound boards were
>developed in two different locations - these PCBs coming from the
>Cinematronics offices.
>
>How about a prototype Cosmic Chasm sound board for this one:
>http://www.ionpool.net/DCP01174.jpg

That would fit with what is there, the key part would be that 40 pin chip in the
upper right corner (K2), and whether it's a UART or a sound chip. The small 14
pin chips really fit the 1488s / 1489s needed to convert the UART voltage
levels. I don't remember off hand, but didn't Cosmic Chasm use one of those GI
(or similar) sound chips?

Let us know what the part numbers on those two regulators on the regulation
board are (and did their outputs head right over to L2 or L3 socket?), that
could be helpful in figuring out what K2 was. I don't think the small heatsinks
on those would allow either one to drive the 5v sections of the wirewrap board,
so I'm thinking it got it's 5v power elsewhere, and the regulators were there
for +12/-12 UART voltages. On the other hand maybe they split the power and
both are 5v regulators...still seems small, TTL sucked a lot of power in those
days.

>The other single PCB has two OpAmps (TL071s I believe) in it.
>
>http://www.ionpool.net/DCP01175.jpg
>
>Some nice wire wrapping, but nothing else to identify it. If someone
>wants to buy it as a prototype Space Wars sound board I'll gladly sell
>it as such ;)

It's missing an audio amplifier section (though that could have been an off
board amplifier of any sort, an old audio receiver/amp, etc). Being a Space Wars
soundcard doesn't explain the large socket (that looks DAC80 sized) in the upper
right corner.

It's also missing the audio gain control ICs (CA3080s I think???), that are
needed to generate the attack and decay explosion envelopes.

That and did Cinematronics need to prototype a Space Wars sound card? I was
under the impression Larry Rosenthal had already had that designed before he
went to Cinematronics with his designs. (Of course that could be a Larry R.
protoboard. ;-)

-Zonn