WG6100 HV PCB damage and discolored screen corner

From: Steve P. <projektzwo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 00:46:56 EDT

 Hi all.

 Couple of questions for the group concerning my WG6100. Before I do, a little info: The monitor in in my Gravitar and was working fine (still is). However, I was getting the odd screen image dropout from time to time. The spot killer would >not< light and vector chatter was present (especially dueing the GRAVITAR logo bouncing around during the attract mode, but the screen would be blank. I found that adjusting the focus knob on the HV board would correct this. I decided to take the plunge and bought Bob Roberts' deluxe cap kit for the 6100 that has the extra bag of parts and the mica chassis transistor pads. I also bought the LV2000 kit and since I had a nice free Saturday to blow, I figured I'd blow it fumbling my way though my first 6100 cap kit install in years. I am by no means an electronics guy, but I can follow directions and with the help of Bob Robert's documentation, and the excellent WG6100 FAQ on ionpool.net (along with Jeff Hendrix's LV2000 install sheets) I was able to successfully install the bulk of the kit (I was really fearing the spot killer but surprisingly, I made it through it OK) - I say bulk because I didn't install anything on the HV board. When I pulled the HV cage, I came across a bit of a surprise - a molested PCB with a hole in it and some really bad solering - I am a novice and my soldering looks expert level compared to what I found. >see pics<

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/games/061904-10.jpg

That white area under R903 (the blue resistor to the left of the pot) is a HOLE!

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/games/061904-11.jpg

 The unserside - the damage is to the extent that there is at least one section that has the ends of parts bent over and soldered to the leads of another part since the PCB (and trace) is long gone..

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/games/061904-12.jpg
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/games/061904-13.jpg

Now, questions.

What in the world would have caused this kind of damage? The HV board is working, but I am a bit leary to mess with it as it is. Should I even attempt to install the cap kit or should I find another PCB or a new one altogether? I was thinking I might just bite the bullet and buy the new NH PCB that Arcade Shop sells and call it a day. Suggestions?

Lastly, I have an oddity with my 6100. The lower right corner of the monitor is "off" on the coloring. I've tried degaussing it with a soldering gun to no avail. I emailed JB about it and he had a few tips to offer of which none worked. See pics:

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/games/061904-14.jpg

 It's just that corner. I can't get it to clear. Any ideas?

 Any insight would be much appreciated. Please LMK if more info or pics are needed.

 Thanks!

-Steve P. in PA

-Steve P.