Re: Multi-XY control panels

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 17:23:38 EDT

Yeah, for the ZVG I was thinking you could comfortably have the following:

Asteroids (Space Duel button layout)
Asteroids Deluxe (Space Duel button layout +)
Space Duel (two simultaneous players)
Gravitar (Space Duel button layout)
Major Havoc (spinner)
Space Fury (Space Duel button layout)
Eliminator (up to two players - four players on two machines?)
Zektor (spinner)
Star Trek (spinner)
Space Wars (up to two players per machine - come on 4 players on linked
machines!!)
Rip Off (two simultaneous players)
Star Castle (Space Duel button layout)
Armor Attack (up to two players per machine - 4 players on linked
machines would once again be cool!!)
Solar Quest (Space Duel button layout)
War of the Worlds (Space Duel button layout)
Boxing Bugs (spinner)
Omega Race (spinner)
Cosmic Chasm (spinner)

Lunar Lander, Battlezone, Red Baron and Star Wars have far too unique
controls to have them share a single control panel. I suppose you
*could* use buttons for Lunar Lander, but that kinda takes the fun out,
eh? Would be nice to have a control panel for the above four games that
was able to fit on a Space Duel (or equivalent) cabinet.

Presuming someone gets the code running for Exidy's Top Gunner, you
could share a control panel with Star Wars. (hint hint MAME developers!)

Black Widow. Can you fit two joysticks comfortably on the same panel as
a full assortment of Space Duel buttons and a spinner? My hands are not
as svelte as some of the people on this list and would be a tight squeeze ;)

Quantum, Tempest and Tac-Scan - although you *could* play them on a
horizontal monitor, perhaps those are better left for a different
multgame machine. You could share a trackball between Quantum and QB3 as
well.

The remaining Cinematronics games are a bit too complicated to play with
just buttons (Speed Freak?)

I think that's about it. Trying to cram all that artwork onto a single
panel isn't going to work, so perhaps a generic looking vector-related
nondenominational CPO? Not that I've given it much thought :)

tm