Re: Multi-XY control panels

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_ghanbari.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 17:50:21 EDT

My approach is a control panel that takes 9x10"
inserts. Each insert then have the control layout for
different classes of games (Asteroids, etc.). Makes
it easy for things like Star Wars, etc, since it
doesn't have to be all in one.

For wiring, I have PC serial cables running to the
control panel. I have standardized buttons, LEDs,
potentiometers, and trakball/spinner lines on the
serial cable. Makes bridging to adapters (in my case
a PC) a hell of a lot easier on the back end.

For my all in one box, I took a Xenophobe cabinet
(thanks to Rick Scheive for the idea) and built a 4
player control panel with 4 inserts. Gotta play
Eliminator the way it was intended to be played...

Now as soon as someone starts manufacturing vector
monitors (my dream is a 25" medium res tube with
reliable electronics), I have a second Xenophobe
cabinet waiting in storage to be the universal vector
cabinet (instead of relying on raster emulation in the
current cabinet)

That being said, still much nicer to have the real
Asteroids, Tempest, Space Wars, and Sega XY cabinets
for the real deal (don't even get me started on how
much cooler it is to play Pong in the original yellow
cabinet vs emulation ;-)

Ray