RE: 6502 Recompiled

From: Neil Bradley <nb_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 16:18:45 EDT

> I know that one of the things we used to do all the time on the Apple II was
> self-modifying code, which seems like it would cause problems in a
> recompiled environment. This may be less prevalent in the arcade world
> (executing directly from ROM) - do many games copy themselves into RAM and
> do self-modification for speed?

Very few. The most prevalent place I've seen it so far is in Sega Genesis
games. The 68000 copies code into the Z80's space for sound purposes. I've
personally emulated a bit over 130 games and I haven't yet found a self
modifying one. However, I do know they exist, but they are relatively
rare.

-->Neil