Re: Star Wars Amplifone Monitor

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 12:48:07 EST

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Paul Shaffelburg wrote:

> Would this mean that my red HV flyback transformer has finally gone, even
> though there is still glow in the neck? Unfortunately, I don't have a HV
> probe, but if there are any suggestions where I could start, they would be
> very much appreciated!

The easiest way to check for HV is with a HV probe. If you don't have one,
treat yourself. I got a used Heathkit on E-bay for around $20 some years
ago, it's self-contained with a gauge right in the handle.

Of course, for us hairy Italian types a quick and dirty method is to place
the back of your hand near the tube, and if the hair stands up, you probably
have HV.
:-)

If you don't have HV and have a red, go to the Ampliphone HV FAQ and follow
the steps.