Re: TECH: Major Havoc

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 16:46:48 EST

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Steve P. wrote:

> Need some help. My working Major Havoc PCB crapped out on me. It was working
> fine and died in the middle of a game - one minute all was fine, the next,
> this:
>
> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/images/mh1.jpg

OK, I'm going to assume you've checked the monitor. If you haven't -- do
so. :-) (Different board on the monitor, or this board on a different
monitor. Or -- hook up a scope).

>From what I can see in this picture, it looks like an analog problem. Why do
I say that ? The lines I see are curved and fuzzy. Digital problems usually
show up as fully formed vectors in the wrong places. It also looks like it's
drawing on the side of the tube, which again to me indicates analog.

At the risk of sounding repetative :-) Start at the test points with a
scoope and work back until you find a good signal.

Checking all voltages, as someone suggested, is also a good first step.

Hmm, sounds like the makeing of a FAQ -- where to start with DVG/AVG
problems.