Replaceing G-80 cage connector

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 11:40:18 EST

A number of the contacts on my G-80 cage connector are broken and not
making contact, so it's time to do a replacement. I am seriously thinking
about replacing the whole card-edge / fingerboard connection with 1 or 2
Molex mate and lock type connectors. Here's my thinking:

This is a converted Asteroids cabinet, and whoever did the rewire job
appears to have used whatever bits of wire were on his bench. There are a
number of splices, insulated with masking tape. I've been meaning to
rewire for a while, but didn't want to mess with the finger board.

BUT -- If I'm going to go through the trouble to replace the cage connector,
possibly re-solder on that fingerboard, figure the fingerboard itself may
need replacing -- by the time you do all this, it's very tempting to just
use some crimp connectors.

Aside from the obvious problem of making things non-standard, is there a
compelling reason NOT to do this ? The whole idea of having a fingerboard
with soldered wires sticking up in the air never seemed particularly sturdy
to me in the first place.