Re: Replaceing G-80 cage connector

From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <vector_at_hawkmountain.net>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 19:49:24 EST

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:40, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> A number of the contacts on my G-80 cage connector are broken and not
> making contact, so it's time to do a replacement. I am seriously thinking
> about replacing the whole card-edge / fingerboard connection with 1 or 2
> Molex mate and lock type connectors. Here's my thinking:
>
> This is a converted Asteroids cabinet, and whoever did the rewire job
> appears to have used whatever bits of wire were on his bench. There are a
> number of splices, insulated with masking tape. I've been meaning to
> rewire for a while, but didn't want to mess with the finger board.
>
> BUT -- If I'm going to go through the trouble to replace the cage connector,
> possibly re-solder on that fingerboard, figure the fingerboard itself may
> need replacing -- by the time you do all this, it's very tempting to just
> use some crimp connectors.

If you can ... might as well find some parts from a sega cab rather
than the conversion stuff. Sega used large multipin connectors that
are easier to work and nicer than that fingerboard thing... yuk.

In genuine sega's there are three connector blocks with wiring that then
connects to the boards inside the cage.

Somebody on the list might have what you are looking for.

An advantage is you'll have a standard pinout.... easier for
servicing, etc....

-- Curt