Design Flaw found in Kurz Kasch 309A Card

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 13:46:09 EST

Ok, I think I found the other design flaw for Kurz Kasch owners that use the Cinematronics Card 309A, 309C. Maybe I'm the only one. :)

I never liked the audio board tester because all you get is an uncontrollable amount of noise, which doesn't help you any.

So Step 1:

Install a 10k volume pot like so...
http://rossiters.com/cinematronics/Kurz-Kasch-309A-2.jpg

Now you are no longer disturbing the neighbors 10 blocks down the street.

Step 2:

When you're testing sound boards, you want to ground certain test points one at a time to see if the noise gets generated. The design flaw with the Kurz Kasch tester is it grounds all test points at once, and by pushing buttons on the TF-650 it turns the sounds *off* one at a time, which is really annoying. So to fix that, I made 4 cuts and jumpers on the 309A card so that all the test points would be high, not low. http://rossiters.com/cinematronics/Kurz-Kasch-309A.jpg. This at least gets the board to be quiet. The one thing I'm not sure about yet, is how you test *all* the sounds. For example, Star Castle has 8 sounds, but the TF-650 has only 4 buttons. So, I'm not sure if pushing a combination of buttons generates certain other sounds, or if I just need to ground certain test points on IC-3 with a clip lead. I haven't really gotten that far yet. :-o

Matt