Tech: Tempest trouble

From: Bob Langelius <bob_at_langelius.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 06:55:07 EDT

My tempest has what seem like two different problems:

1st problem- the "mazes" are displayed correctly and gameplay is
accurate, but the text is all stretched out and unreadable ,unreadable
in that the text is weird symbols.

I re-seated the ROMs and checked the interconnect cable (seemed ok).
Voltages are OK. No change in problem. Any idea what I should check next?

2nd Problem- When I shoot the screen dims for a spilt second. If I
shoot rapidly the screen blanks out and the spot killer comes on.

This is with WG from my Space duel in the cabinet ( has LV2000 and Atari
input protection board). I took out the original non-functioning WG and
did a cap kit and it now works fine in my space duel ( it doesn't have
the input protection board or the lv2000).

The games are in different locations. Could the dimming/blanking out be
that the Input protection board is coming into play? Should I swap
monitors back they way they were?

Thanks in advance,
Bob