wg6101's working, but not fixed (or vice-versa?)

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 11:07:02 EDT

With the help of the group and the FAQ troublshooting guide, I've been able
to get both 6101's I've been working on to display a picture. Notice I
didn't say "working". Actually, one appears to be completely fine.

The other however, has some problems that I don't see mentioned anywhere in
the FAQ. It's got 5 problems that I see:

1 The picture is tilted, i.e., the right side of the Tempest display is
higher than the left side. I did make the obvious check of the monitor
sitting in the cabinet correctly.

2 The overall picture is too low on the screen. About 1" or so. If I mess
with the sizing pots on the game board, the display starts to colapse onto
itself near the bottom.

3 In between levels, when the lines shoot outward, they don't go directly
off the screen in the straight line that they started with, near the top and
sides of the monitor, the lines take a bend and shoot off at various angles.
As there are obvious convergence problems with this monitor, I'm guessing
this may be related to convergence?

4 There is a "sizing" problem. The picture is smaller than it should be,
even when I use the X&Y size adjustment off the game board. When I put
another deflection board in there, the picture is then set way too big.

5 This last one is best described by a picture:
http://www.joesarcade.com/joem/wg6101/. The pic with flash seems to show it
better. If you look at the maze near the center, closer to the top, you'll
see the lines actually crossing each other. (Pretty weird while playing!).

These problems have been verified to NOT be the Tempest game board itself.
Also problems #4 & #5 I have at least identified as the deflection, because
if I swap deflections with a known good one, those problems doesn't appear.

Any ideas/advice, much appreciated. Thanks,

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net