RE: Asteroids with no video

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 12:46:57 EDT

SirPoonga wrote:

> Either way this requires dicharging the monitor which is something I
> don't want to do on my own. So I am thinking about calling a local
> tv repair place. Good idea?

Don't let the "If you kill yourself..." warnings on websites freak you out.
You can make a cheap discharge cord out of 2 alligator clips, some heavy
wire and a 1 mega-ohm resistor. That's what I use. A HV probe works good
too. Discharging is not nearly as exciting as some guys make it out to be,
and I'm a pansy about getting shocked. You hear a little pop, and that's
it. Besides, you'll use it a lot. Every time you cap kit or troubleshoot a
raster monitor (did I say that on vector list?!), you have to pull the anode
off with the chassis, and that means discharging the monitor.

Discharge the monitor, shotgun those parts in and power it up! Then post
the results on VL.

> Ultimately if I get this going I might try and find a robotron
> cocktail cabinet or make one. I'd rather have a cocktail table as
> that is less intrusive in an apartment.

You would think that, but a standup really takes /less/ room. You only have
to have space in front of it, with a cocktail you need open space on 3 sides
so you can get around to P2. I replaced my cocktails for space reasons and
I have 3 uprights where my 2 cocktails used to be.

Empty Asteroids cabs are easy to come by, and you can put your working guts
in there. Ask around and you'll probably find one within driving distance.
Where are you?

Sean McLachlan Salt Lake City, Utah
rgvac@classi-find.net Video Game n00b since 2001