Asteroids with no video

From: Sir Poonga <sirpoonga_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 11:31:49 EDT

Hello all. I've been researching this over the last several weeks, I
finally found this place :) I picked up an asteroids game for free :) Just
no video, everything else seems to work.

It's a WG 19V2000 monitor.
The problem is the F100 fuse blows right away when the monitor is powered
up.

I've been asking around and apparently this is a common problem with the
19V2000? And that I'd need a rebuild kit. Looks up prices, bought the kit
and a new big blue form Bob Roberts. Even if this doesn't fix the problem
it is for the good :) I also hear it might be a bad HV diode??

Either way this requires dicharging the monitor which is something I don't
want to do on my own. So I am thinking about calling a local tv repair
place. Good idea?
What type of things should I ask? I know that the monitor needs to be
discharged slowly as to not blow the HV diode. A TV repair person would
have a good discharging tool, right?
Do you need to discharge with the chassis pcb still plugged into the HV
circuit and such?
I hope the TV repair person would put in the 4 caps of the rebuild kit that
go on the HV circuit. I would feel safer for myself then. I can handle the
rest.

All I have done so far is take the monitor out of the cabinet and test to
make sure the voltages going to the monitor are within tolerances. So far
everything checks out.

The other possibility is could something be wrong with the game PCB to cause
this problem?

Pics
http://photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/asteroids/

Ultimately if I get this going I might try and find a robotron cocktail
cabinet or make one. I'd rather have a cocktail table as that is less
intrusive in an apartment. And since I don't have an original cabinet
anyway I wouldn't feel bad about getting rid of it.