Re: Asteroids with no video

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 07:04:01 EDT

Sir Poonga wrote:

> I know Peter said you don't need to discharge the monitor, but
> everyone else I talk to says to.
>
> As Peter put it "you dont need to discharge monitors unless your
> clumsy or stupid", add to that if you don't know what you are doing.
> I obviously don't know what I am doing otherwise I would not have
> posted to this list. So I am going to discharge it for my own safety.
>
> Alright, making the discharge screwdriver resistor thing is neat, but
> I'd rather have the right tool already made if it is affordable. I
> checked ebay for HV probe and prices range from $10 to $500. So the
> question is what do I need, what's the difference in price?
>
> If it is one that is in the $10-$50 I would rather have the right tool
> than make one. If for $10 I might as well, otherwise it's going to
> cost $3 for 10 100k resistors, wire, and aligator clip at radioshack.
> If I made my own I'd go the Bob Roberts route and grind the
> screwdriver so the wire had a good place to clip onto, currently I
> don't have an extra screwdriver I'd do that too so I'd have to buy
> it. So, if the $10 HV probe is all I need I might as well go that route.

I might as well put in my two cents worth.

Any shock you get most likely won't hurt much more than your pride,
unless you have a heart condition.

HOWEVER, the shock will cause an unpredictable muscle jerk, which could
cause something more serious like managing to tear up some skin if you
happen to scrape across some sharp metal.

Most old-time TV repairmen know enough to put the hand they aren't using
in their pocket to minimize the chance of killing themselves (current
from one hand to another can go through your heart).

NEVER, EVER try working on a G07 without discharging.

OK, buy the probe, preferably one with a built in meter (unless you also
want to fix microwave ovens, in which case one without a meter will let
you use an external meter or scope which lets you not only measure DC
but also AC and do things like checking ripple). The probe lets you do
the discharge very easily.

Even if the monitor you're working on has a built-in bleeder you can't
rely on it working. And bleeder or no bleeder, CRTs have a nasty habit
of rebuilding charge when disconnected. REMEMBER TO DISCHARGE THE TUBE
AGAIN _BEFORE RECONNECTING THE HV LEAD.

_Take your time, do the job right. No surprises, no shocks, take no
chances.