Re: Laptop for ZVG?

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 12:43:53 EDT

One of the things you may want to consider is what DMA mode the laptop
supports. I tried using an older Dell lattitude and a Gateway Solo 5300.
They both work with the ZVG, but I have to set the DMA mode to 0 to get them
to work. In 'No DMA' mode - the zvg will run kinda slow and not as fun to
play. The problem with some Dell's and Gateway's is they don't give you
many options in the bios. It seemed like my Dell latitude ran better on a
Wells Garder 6400 and Amplifone but not as good on an Electrohome G08
monitor. I haven't tried the WG and Amp with my gateway yet. Also, you
need to look for a laptop that has a compatible sound card. I couldn't get
the sound on the Dell to work but my gateway did work. So, I too am looking
for some recommendations. I think I'd rather get a desktop computer where I
can swap hardware around, then get a wireless mouse, keyboard and an old
flat panel monitor that can be put to the side.

0 =No DMA, this will cause the ZVG to run slower. Use as a last resort.
1 =Normal DMA mode. This is the default if not given.

2 =Single Mode DMA. This should be tried only if the default settings don't
work. Some older PC's may need this setting.