Re: Battlezone Shaky vectors

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 17:58:42 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: "Colin Davies" <colin.w.davies@btopenworld.com>
To: <vectorlist@vectorlist.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 22:42:37 +0100
Subject: VECTOR: Battlezone Shaky vectors

> Hi Guys,
>
> Got my first battlezone cpu / math box running after a bit of fighting with a solding iron, only casualties are a burned finger so far...
>
> Main problems found were a couple of bad counters on the timer which showed up with a probe / comparator, and a shorted capacitor on the sample and hold / window circuit only giving me the top half of the screen...
>
> Ok... the vectors are little bit wobbly / shaky... Its been suggested to have a prod at the vector timer circuit, but I would appreciate some trobleshooting tips please if anone has seen this before....

got a scope?
if yes then check all your power lines, and if you can set the scope for x-y mode try using it as a monitor.

no point wasting time on the pcb till you know the rest is good.
and check your edge-connector isnt getting warm at the ends. !!!

*all* my atari b&w vector pcb's (atleast 6) have signs of burning from this problem - it's not if but when.