screwy Asteroids problem (running in Asteroids Deluxe cabinet)

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 14:52:07 EDT

This is a screwy problem, and it's screwy to describle, but it's driving me
crazy, so please bear with me, I'll describe it as best I can.

I'm running Asteroids in a standard Asteroids Deluxe upright. I'm using the
ROMs hacked by Mark Shostak as mentioned here:
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/asteroids/asteroids_mod.txt. These hacked
ROMs fix everything except the inverted image as Asteroids Deluxe uses the
mirror. (FYI, Mark's ROMs will work without further modification in an
Asteroids Deluxe cabaret as that doesn't use a mirror). To fix the mirror
inverted image problem, I swaped the red & blue wires running from the
monitor deflection board to the yoke.

My problem is that the game will randomly switch the image to upside down.
That is upside down when you're looking at the corrected inverted image on
an AD cabinet. It doesn't happen often, it happened 3 times yesterday
during a 5 hour game party, once in the middle of a game. It's hard to trap
on a pic, but here's an attempt: