Re: B&W HV (was: screwy Asteroids problem (running in Asteroids Deluxe cabinet))

From: Tony Roussos <troussos_at_neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 21:51:52 EDT

Mark,

I desoldered the HV transformer from the PCB and ohm checked the secondary,
out of circuit detached from the HV diode, to find infinite resistance. Not
even in the 100Mohm range!

Feeling frisky, from sucessfully repairing guitar pick-ups, microphones, and
other type transformer windings, I peeled away the outer rubber/plastic skin
to find a lot of arcing damage right where the superfine winding wire was
SUPPOSED to be crimped to the HV wire leaving the body. I tried to reattach
the HV wire to the severed winding, isolated the connection for vibration,
and checked continuity for a reading of less than 1kohm. I reinserted the
transformer in circuit and rechecked continuity. It survived the process so
far.

To my dismay, the damage was beyond the first two layers of winding. (Man
that wire is thin!) Upon energizing the circuit, the secondary opened again
much deeper than the first few turns. (Maybe I should rewind the whole thing
my self. Anyone know where I can buy 44awg. transformer wire??!)

Tony