Quantum hi score & operator settings save weirdness

From: Joseph Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 17:25:39 EDT

A buddy came over to test a Quantum board in my machine last night. Great news - IT WORKED. Now for the goofy stuff. I changed some operator settings (set the bonus level to 10K), played a game and set the high score. Turned it off and back on, and the operator settings I had changed were saved but the high score was not.

  I found this really strange because on my boardset, neither the operator settings nor the high score were being saved, so I desoldered and installed a new X2212 chip. After putting the new chip in, it still didn't save modified operator settings or the high scores. I always attributed it to my poor desoldering skills and figured I messed up some traces around the X2212.

  I found it really strange though that his board would save the operator setting changes, but not the high scores. Which leads to my questions:

  Aren't operator settings and high scores both saved in the X2212? If not, where are they saved? If they both are saved there, then how can it be explained where the high score was lost, but not the operator settings modifications?

  Can anyone please confirm that Quantum can save high scores after the game has been shut off?

  Thanks,

  Joe
  joemagiera@ameritech.net