Re: Discoloration on monitor after moving Space Duel upright

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 15:30:50 EDT

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Tim Soderstrom wrote:

> Well, I assume if you discharge it to the chassis, it would run through
> the power cable out to the outlet anyway correct? If so, I probably need

No. Think of the monitor as a big battery. You are running the battery down
to 0 by hooking a lightbulb across it (in this case the resistor of the HV
probe instead of an actual bulb). This is always why you don't just use a
screwdriver to short the tube to the chasis, the same reason you don't short
the terminals of a battery.

You might want to search the archives of this list at
http://www.vectorlist.org/ It's been gone over a few times.

> So just to be sure. If I don't discharge the monitor and somehow
> electrocute myself death isn't necessarily imminent? I always thought that

It hurts, but you'll live.

Want a real scare ? If the color problem isn't solved by the degausing,
you'll need to do color convergance. This involves twisting the yoke on the
back of the tube with the monitor on. Fun times. Get a friend and a sixpack
or two for afterwards. :-)