Re: Tempest twisting images...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 14:02:46 EDT

Found the problem. Turns out the replacement XY driver board I had
left (from my parts stock) is a version P327 with the input
protection circuit. I found that this circuit was the cause of the
twisting by hooking my scope to the inputs of Q600 and Q700 and
getting the same twisting, but not at the X & Y outputs on the
motherboard. Hence something was a problem in this circuit. Replaced
the two transistors Q804 & Q805, plus two of the diodes D806 & D808
(Germanium I think) with 1N914s.

Same problem. Poked around for another 1/2 hour...

Gave up and clipped R810 & R811 - inputs to the protection circuit -
and now the picture is fine.

As Tempest originally worked without the protection circuit I am
going to leave it disabled here - I suspect this circuit simply can't
handle the patterns that Tempest throws up, or the capacitors are too
low (88ufd instead of 100ufd, within spec +10/-20% for caps.). Still
it looks great and I have to move on...

I made a MPEG of the twisting image, if anyone wants a copy let me know.

John :-#)#