Re: slightly OT, opinions on selling game with red Amplifone

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 08:41:23 EDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Joseph Magiera wrote:

> I have an upright Star Wars with a working Amplifone with a red ("isn't
> dead yet") HV transformer. I have a buyer and we've agreed on the price.
> He is more of a home owner that doesn't understand the full extent of the
> "red-is-dead".

This goes somewhat beyond just "red-is-dead". Owning any of these machines
is akin to having an antique car. Either you know how to fix it or you will
be paying someone to do so. The "red-is'dead" is just a specific case of
that.

For any 80's arcade machine, I would tell them to expect it to break in the
first year, and be pleasantly surprised if it didn't. I would give a 10%
chance it will stop working in transit to their house.

Then again, this is my advice when I've helped friends/relatives BUY a
machine, and they know I'm going to help them fix it anyway. Especially my
cousin, who happens to also be my dentist. :-)