slightly OT, opinions on selling game with red Amplifone

From: Joseph Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 08:20:28 EDT

I will apologize up front as this is a fringe topic to the group. But I'd really like to hear your opinions.

  I have an upright Star Wars with a working Amplifone with a red ("isn't dead yet") HV transformer. I have a buyer and we've agreed on the price. He is more of a home owner that doesn't understand the full extent of the "red-is-dead".

  I've honestly tried to explain it to him, but I don't think he gets it. I've also told him of the pros to an nice Amplifone too. That part he understands, and I think he's putting too much stock into the pro's and is ignoring the cons because the red happens to be working right now.

  I'm having a bit of conscience problem on this one. Should I just do the sale and forget it? I'm not out to rip anyone, and it'd kill me for him to get it home and it be dead, or dead a week or a month later. But I also wouldn't be overjoyed about giving him money back if it died. It has always worked fine for me, but I haven't ever left it on more than a few hours. Maybe I can 8 hour or 12 hour burn test it.

  I know a few people have mentioned having a working red before. What's been your experience? If you got one working, has it stayed working? This is my only working red I've ever had experience with, and sometimes I think I got the speck of gold in the pile of sand. Thoughts anyone? If you think it's too much off topic, please respond privately. Thanks,

Joe
  joemagiera@ameritech.net